An area rug, just like artwork, can add that finishing touch to your kid's bedroom. But rugs are so much more than an accessory, they are an essential. They not only help bring a room design together, but the right size rug is essential in making a room feel warmer and cozier. Rugs soften the acoustics and create a quieter space. They also provide a safe, soft area for your kids to roll around and relax on. When you're looking to find the perfect area rug for your kid's bedroom, check out the tips below:
The style of the area rug helps set the tone or personality of the room. It can make a bold, artistic statement or be a soft, subtle addition. Many rugs for kids come in creative shapes and patterns that match a room's theme. When deciding what may work best in your child's room, just remember:
- If the space already has lots of patterns and colors, choose a simpler rug with neutral colors like gray, beige or taupe.
- If the furnishings are mostly neutral, this is an opportunity to add a splash of color to their space!
When selecting the right size rug for your kid's bedroom, it all depends on the size of the room itself as well as the size of their bed.
- Twin Bed: A 4x6 or 5x7 rug are a good fit for a single bed, leaving enough space all around the bed. A runner or 3x5 rug fit nicely in between two twin beds.
- Full/Queen Bed: An 6x9 or 8x10 work best and provide enough room to step on the rug from either side.
- King Bed: A 9x12 rug will fit under the bed and still allow enough space to be able to feel the warmth of the rug when crawling in and out of bed.
It also comes down to your personal preference. Do you want the rug to fill the room or act as an accent piece? You'll also want to consider all the furniture in the room and take note of the various layout options. Using the dimensions of your desired rug and your chosen layout, tape the dimensions of the rug on the floor. This way you can visualize how the size of the rug will fit in the space, tweaking the layout if necessary.
As stated above, choosing your rug type and size may come down to the way you lay out your room. Do you want your rug positioned in the center of the room? Will it be played on? Is it being placed under the foot of the bed? Here are some different layout options:
In high traffic areas and kids’ rooms, you will need a rug that can withstand the heavy traffic but also make a stylish statement, too. That's why we suggest 100% cotton or wool area rugs. A rug with a softer, denser and more comfortable pile may be the best choice for your kid's room. After all, they love rolling around on the floor and playing games on the floor and coloring on the floor and relaxing on the floor ... you get the picture!
Placing a rug pad under an area rug serves two purposes in a kid's room:
- It provides extra cushioning for an even more comfortable playing surface.
- It provides stability for the rug, creating a safer play area when kids are running around.
When picking a rug pad, choose either natural rubber or recycled felt materials that are non-toxic and sustainable. They contain low VOCs and will not release harmful toxins into the air that can hurt your child.