Should You Make a Wooden Toy Box With Wheels or Buy It?
Whether you are looking for a quick and easy solution to clean up the clutter of toys or you are considering a timeless gift for your child or grandchild, a wooden toy box with wheels is the perfect option. A toy box with wheels not only provides great storage, it is also easily rolled from room to room with ease and allows for your little ones to quickly clean up on their own. There is just something about a wooden toy chest that feels timeless and special. It should be a handcrafted piece made with quality materials. So the question is, should you make a wooden toy box with wheels on your own or should you buy it?
Keep reading to learn what goes into making a quality wooden storage box with wheels and decide for yourself whether you should build or buy:
What is the Best Wood for a Toy Box?
When you are considering whether to build or buy a wooden toy box with wheels, you may think that the construction process will be a simple one. After all, it’s just a box… right? For the most part, wrong. It is definitely a time-consuming process, especially if you are not an experienced woodworker. You will need to decide on the plan, find the wood, cut the pieces to the right size, sand each piece and construct the box. This could lead to disastrous results if you are not careful with reading plans and handling power tools like saws and sanders.
The first decision you do need to make when building your own storage box on wheels is what wood you will use. A softer wood like pine can easily scratch or dent, so that wouldn’t be your best choice. When constructing your own toy box, you should choose a harder wood like birch, maple or walnut for quality and durability. You will want to make sure that you are using the right materials and have the correct tools on hand or your project may not turn out as planned.
At Nico & Yeye, creating a quality piece of furniture is our number one priority. This begins with selecting superior materials and careful assembly. Our Toy Box Chest on Casters
Is built with techniques that have been proven over generations, with pride and diligence.
Only the finest materials are used in the construction process. We use solid, American kiln-dried walnut or maple and solid wood veneers (created by slicing thin sheets from solid wood). Using veneers in combination with solid wood gives greater stability while reducing expansion and contraction due to humidity.
One of the most important aspects of the materials we use at Nico & Yeye is the safety protocols we put in place. Our hardwood engineered wood is California Air and Resources Board Phase II (CARB-2) compliant. This means that our Toy Box Chest on Casters contains the lowest threshold in the world for formaldehyde emissions in engineered wood products.
How Big Should a Toy Box Be?
Another important question you will want to answer, after the type of wood to choose, is what is a good size for a toy box? If you are building your own, you will need to take into account how the toy box will fit in your space and what you want it used for. Toy boxes can be made in a variety of sizes, but finding that perfect fit and design when making your own may be more difficult than you think. Some things to consider when choosing a size are:
- Small Toy Boxes. These are perfect for smaller toys like building blocks, action figures and other small dolls. They typically measure only 12 inches long by 12 inches wide by 12 inches high and are meant to sit on a shelf or stack. They usually don’t have wheels and won’t fit many toys (unless you make multiple).
- Medium Toy Boxes. These are normally designed to double as a piece of furniture and to fit in with the interior aesthetic of your home. Their sizes vary, but they are usually around 24 inches long by 12 inches wide by 24 inches high. Medium toy boxes are a great choice for any room in the house and will hold a variety of toys from smaller blocks to medium-sized stuffed animals or games.
- Large Toy Boxes. A large toy chest will make a presence in most rooms and may be best suited for a child’s bedroom or playroom. Typically, a large toy box measures 48 inches long by 12 inches wide by 24 inches high. Larger toy boxes, while being able to fit a lot of toys (especially bigger ones), are not always a good choice when there is limited space.
The Nico & Yeye wooden Toy Box Chest on Casters is designed to be the perfect size for any room in your home. And since it is on wheels, it can easily be rolled from one room to another. Taking into consideration the ideal toy storage capacity, our toy chest is slightly larger in length and width than the typical medium-sized toy box. At 28 inches long by 14 inches wide, our toy box on wheels will hold a variety of toys in all different shapes and sizes. At 18 inches high, it’s a perfect height for little ones to be able to reach in and grab their favorite toy.
What Style Should a Toy Box Be?
If you choose to build your own wooden toy box on wheels, you will also need to determine the style of the box. You may still think it is easy to put together pieces of wood and call it a toy box, but there are thoughtful considerations that need to be figured out. For example, will the toy box need to match a certain design style? What are some features you might want to add? Will it have a lid or be an open box design?
If all this decision making has you throwing your hands up in defeat, then your best option is our Toy Box Chest on Casters. At Nico & Yeye, we have taken the confusion out of choosing a toy chest by creating a modern toy box that has a clean design. While it is a contemporary twist on a classic piece, our toy box easily fits into any decor and will stand the test of time. Its design features include:
- Open Bin Design. This is a good option for young children because it is easy to access, enabling kids to take out toys and learn to put them away. Also, no chance of lids slamming down on precious little fingers.
- Cut-out Handles and Lettering. Designed to protect little hands, our cut-out handles on each end provide a fun and functional way to pull the toy box from room to room. The clean design of the “TOYS” cut-out creates a unique and stylish look that’s perfect for any home decor.
How Do You Paint a Wooden Toy Box?
When making your own wooden toy box, you will also need to figure out how you want to finish it, meaning stain or paint? Either way, you are going to have the messy job of sanding your wooden box to prepare it for staining or painting. If you choose to stain, make sure it is in a well-ventilated area and you are using non-toxic materials. Also be prepared to apply several coats, along with a protective top coat.
If you choose to paint, which allows for the best way to match a child’s room or decor style of a home, you will also need to go through the process of applying several coats (making sure the paint is non-toxic for the kiddos and durable enough to withstand use) and having a messy clean-up after the job is done.
At Nico & Yeye, our toy chests are custom-made to order. Each one is hand-sanded with three coats of hand-applied non-toxic water based paint. The finish is low-sheen, durable and easy to clean. Best of all, our paints and finishes are GREENGUARD Gold Certified. This means that they meet or exceed stringent chemical emissions standards and are free of lead, phthalates and formaldehyde.
With 20 fun color combinations to choose from, you’re sure to find the right one to fit your home. The combination of natural wood and painted surfaces will provide a timeless design that will be used for many years to come. And best yet, all the work is done for you!
What Makes the Perfect Toy Box?
With its fun and functional design, the Nico & Yeye Toy Box Chest is perfect for keeping your child’s bedroom or playroom organized and clean. When it comes to choosing the right toy box, it has everything you need:
- Quality construction with the finest materials.
- Rolling casters to allow for easy room-to-room movement and mobile play.
- Lock-in casters to avoid using the toy box race car by your younger ones.
- The perfect size and open-box design for quick clean-ups.
- Available in a variety of classic colors to fit all styles.
One of the best things about the Nico and Yeye Toy Box Chest on Casters is that it comes fully assembled straight out of the box. Yes, you can get a custom-crafted, well-designed and quality-created toy box without having to build one yourself!